I have been providing therapy to young children and families for over 12 years and I love it. My experience ranges from working with children and families in the foster care system in Washington, DC and school settings for children with severe mental illness to supervising an Autism program for pre-school children, as well as family and play therapy in a clinic setting.
I believe that families require flexibility and at times need help thinking outside the box. Young children require a balance of praise and nurturing along with structure and guidance. Being a parent can be the most challenging experience as well as the most rewarding experience in people's lives! I strive to keep these things in mind when working with children and families. My work with children involves the family as a whole, addressing the system of interactions impacting a child. Children communicate and interact with the world through play. I enter into a child's world of play and imagination to help them overcome problems, cope with difficult situations and development in a healthy way.
I believe it is vital to consider the unique needs of each family when creating a treatment plan. I support young children in developing healthy behaviors, emotional growth and family and peer relationships. I believe in strategizing with parents around new ways of interacting with and supporting their children.
In addition to my work with children I am a adherent DBT therapist. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy has led me to working with adults who struggle with extreme emotional dysregulation, interpersonal relationships and distress tolerance. I thoroughly enjoy this aspect of my practice. DBT is sometimes referred to as the “irreverent therapy.” Similar to my work with children and families I find it vital to balance acceptance and change with my DBT clients. You have to do different to feel different (and the doing begins with you!)
- Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment
- Short-Term Behavioral/Mental Health Consultations (1-5 sessions)
- Child Therapy/Play Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Parent-Child Therapy
- School/Community Observation, Consultation and IEP/504 Support Collaboration and Consultation with Medical and other providers
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (Group and Individual)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Sand Tray
- School/Teacher Consultations
- Mental Health and Professional Trainings
- Parent Workshops
- Clinical supervision LPC Board Approved Supervisor
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, State of Minnesota, Current License #19016
- Member National Association of Social Workers
- Approved clinical supervisor with Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy for LPC and LPCC applicants
- Approved clinical supervisor with Minnesota Board of Social Work
- Trainer for Anoka Hennepin County School, 2017 (Responding to Students Who Self- Injure)
- Guest Lecturer for St. Kates University, 2010 (Etiology and Treatment of Autism)
- Presenter at Minnesota Children’s Mental Health Association Annual State Conference 2011-2017
- Publication: Solin, J. & Kress, C. (2017) Don’t Let Emotions Run Your Life For Kids: A DBT Workbook to Help Children Manage Mood Swings, Control Outbursts, and Get Along with Others. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger
- BS Sociology Human Services, Children and Families Focus, Viterbo University, La Crosse, WI 2001
- Master of Social Work, Catholic University, Washington, DC 2003
Insurance and Payment
Accepting Private Pay as well as Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medica, UMR, United Health Care, MA, P1
I lead the Adolescent group on Saturdays from 10-12:00, and Thursdays from 6:00-8:00pm feel free to email me if interested in joining.
Schedule an appointment
Give me a call for a brief phone consultation and to find out if I can help. I look forward to hearing from you.
Phone: 952-223-1300, ext 3